As an Anamcara, Tadhg has much experience regarding the use of ancient herbs etc. Indeed, using traditional understanding Tadhg’s Apothecary uses many such herbs and plants for clients, today. Here’s one that may be beneficial to you.
Frankincense (Boswellia carterii), also known as Olibanum, is part of the Burseraceae plant family. It originates from Arabia and Somalia, has been traded for over 5000 years, and is used today, initially, in its resin form.
The ancient Egyptians ground charred Frankincense resin into a powder called kohl, and this was used, formerly, to make the distinctive black eyeliner seen on so many figures in Egyptian art.
Frankincense is a symbol of holiness and righteousness.
Ancient sacred text says: And going into the house they [the Magi, Wise Men] saw the [Christ] child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshipped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.
Usage by Tadhg: From the ancient, traditional and complementary healing arts of the ancient Celts, Frankincense was very useful. Tadhg’s Apothecary works with it, still:
- preparing mixes for incense for clients and churches for use in specific ritual and ceremonies
- preparing ‘air essences’ for ‘locations and placement-uplift’ eg rooms, workplaces, or for rituals etc.
Traditionally, it was used for the healing of: various physical ailments, but this is no longer the case.
Frankincense has a strong, other-worldly aroma that seems to allow a greater depth of thought and meditation. Client use it in the home in rituals, in the home for general purposes, and some churches like us to mix it with other herbs etc, for them.
It is said to have the following properties:
- an aromatic (producing a nice smell, pungent)
- an anti-septic (kills or reduces micro-organisms)
- an aphrodisiac
- a hypnotic (sleep inducing, soporific)
- an immunostimulant (stimulates the immune system)
- a sedative (promotes calmness, tranquillity, reduces stress or anxiety
It is also viewed by some as important for:
- ritual purification
- blessing of people, places, houses/offices, churches etc
- increasing spiritual depth and meditation
- various ceremonies and rituals
- dispelling gloomy thoughts, depression, despair, lessens anxiety
- banishing negativity, encouraging positivity
- soap and perfume
Caution: Frankincense should never be ingested. It is sometimes used externally on the body in a very dilute form and mixed with oil, but care must be taken, and we would advise against this.
Next step: To find out more, and how Tadhg and Tadhg’s Apothecary can assist you with a preparation of this herb (or a mix of this and others, depending on your requirements), do contact him for more information and/or to book a consultation, wherever you are. For general information about booking etc, consultation and product costs, do check here: Tadhg’s Apothecary (main page)
Note: Intentionality is important. Also, the above-mentioned is for informational purposes only. This ministry is complementary, and not an alternative to allopathic medicine. E&OE. Do not self-medicate. Do read the notes of ‘Tadhg’s Apothecary’ page